Tired of dealing with maintenance issues on traditional wood decks? Silca System offers an innovative solution that not only resolves common problems like peeling paint, warping, and rot but also expands design options for your deck.
What is the Silca System?
The Silca System is a structural underlayment designed for elevated decks, allowing you to use higher quality materials like stone instead of wood. What type of stone? Brick, marble, or travertine. This alternative to traditional wood decks not only enhances your outdoor living experience, but it also provides a durable and long-lasting solution to common deck issues.
StoneDeks Systems works with DIYers, deck builders, deck designers, deck architects, and others to improve the way decks are built. The Silca System allows for more durable deck flooring, allowing homeowners and business owners to easily transform their wood decks into stone decks.
This revolutionary system is changing the way decks are built and designed. If you’re interested in learning more about Silca System for deck building, keep reading for our step-by-step installation guide.
Installation Guide: Building a Deck with the Silca System
Before diving into the installation process, it’s crucial to prepare adequately:
- Adherence to Safety and Regulations: We recommend following the North American Deck and Railing Association (NADRA) safety guide and local building codes is non-negotiable. This includes acquiring any necessary permits before commencing work.
- Deck Structure Inspection: Ensure that the existing deck structures are in good condition, especially if the Silca System will be added to an existing deck.
The Role of SilcaGrates
SilcaGrates are at the heart of the Silca System. Our patented SilcaGrate is a structural support underlayment that enables you to put any type of stone, paver, or brick on a wood or metal frame structure.
The SilcaGrates are 1.5 inches thick and should be placed on a standard 16-inch space decking base. A few key points to remember:
- Joist Alignment: Each grate should be centered on the joists for optimal support, with each joist being at least 2×8.
- Grate Orientation: The side with the strip should face downwards. For enhanced strength and durability, alternate between half and full grates.
Tools and Materials
- Materials Needed: 3-inch coated deck screws, landscape fabric, paver jointing sand (optional).
- Essential Tools: Level, measuring tape, pencil, drill or power screwdriver, circular saw, and appropriate safety gear.
Cutting and Fitting
- Customizing Grates: Use a reciprocating saw to cut the grates as needed, whether to fit around obstacles or to shape them for the deck’s edges.
Decking Material Installation
Once the Silca grates are in place, it’s time to install the decking materials. This involves steps like installing a geotextile or landscape blanket, like our SilcaMat, if using sand, placing top materials like sandstone blocks, red brick pavers, and gray pavers, and utilizing a diamond blade for cutting stone and tile.
The Silca System allows for a wide array of decking materials:
- Foundation Layer: If using paver sand, start by installing landscape fabric. However, this step can be skipped if you opt out of using sand.
- Top Materials: Choices include sandstone blocks, red brick pavers, and gray pavers, among others. When cutting stone, a diamond blade is recommended for precision.
Design Flexibility and Creativity
One of the most exciting aspects of the Silca System is the freedom it offers in deck design. The system supports various fascia options, enabling unprecedented creativity in terms of shapes, textures, and colors. Whether you’re aiming for a classic look with brick pavers or a more modern aesthetic with marble, the possibilities are endless.
Advantages of the Silca System
The Silca System offers several key advantages for your outdoor deck:
- It enhances durability by eliminating issues commonly associated with wood decks, such as rot and warping, ensuring a longer lifespan for your deck.
- The use of high-quality materials like stone and marble elevates the aesthetic appeal of your outdoor space, creating a more luxurious and visually appealing environment.
- The system allows for a high degree of customization, enabling you to tailor the deck to your specific design preferences.
- The Silca System is proudly made in the USA, supporting local manufacturing and meeting this important criterion.
Explore the Possibilities with the Silca System and Transform Your Deck
The Silca System is more than just an alternative to traditional wood decking; it’s a paradigm shift in how we think about and construct outdoor living spaces.
Its combination of durability, aesthetic flexibility, and ease of installation makes it an attractive option for both new deck constructions and renovations.
By choosing the Silca System, homeowners and builders alike can create outdoor spaces that are not only beautiful and unique but also built to last.
Let the StoneDeks System Be the Start of Something Good
Whether you cherish an urban view or a mountain vista, capture the incredible sights from your home’s rooftop deck to experience them like never before. Let our StoneDeks System be the start of something good for your home.
The StoneDeks System is a sub-flooring system that installs on top of pre-existing or newly built wood or metal deck joists. What this means is your deck can now support any type of stone or paver you’d like. And, if you prefer, artificial turf.
StoneDeks System can help you transform your deck into a beautiful, durable and low-maintenance stone deck. Our StoneDeks products are not only strong and beautiful, but they’re made with recycled materials right here in the United States. Fill out our online form or call 330-821-1585 to talk to one of our experts.